It’s been so long, I feel like I just have to write. Feeling much better than I was when I began this adventure into blogging. I’ve shed some things that were causing me some undue stress, while adding activities to work on me. I joined a gym. I’m playing disk golf. I’m running. I’m even eating right again.
Let’s back up. After my divorce, my health spiraled out of control as I went deeper and deeper into depression. I didn’t give a shit what I ate, I was drinking heavily, and I did a lot of things I’m not proud of. In all honesty, I’m lucky I survived it. So while all that was going down, my body went to mush. If you looked at me know, you certainly don’t see a dude that ran a 4.6 40 yard dash. Most people see the dude that walks the 20 feet to the front door of the donut shop. I might be exaggerating a little bit, but I’m not proud of what I’ve done to myself.
So, as part of my healing process, I’ve made several changes. I’ve lost 10 pounds since I started my job, and I expect to lose much more before it’s all over. I’m playing a lot of disk golf, and I get better every time I go out. It’s always fun to walk about 3.5 miles while doing something you enjoy. The gym is nice as well. It’s depressing to see how weak I’ve gotten, but encouraging to see how quickly I’m recovering my former strength. I’ve also nipped my biggest weakness in the bud: food. I LOVE food. I’m the type of person that will eat when I’m not even hungry, for a variety of reasons. Lately, I’ve been doing a good job of keeping my portion sizes down. It’s the toughest part of this whole process.
I still haven’t made too many friends outside of work. I’ve discovered this is a much more difficult process at 25 than at 20. Until I moved here, I didn’t realize how much college influence college had on my ability to make friends. Without that forced interaction of us being in the same place at the same time, I’m simply not socializing near as much as I have in the past. I find myself going to Florence or Huntsville on the weekends just so that I know I will have someone to hang out with. This weekend I’ll have this huge house to myself and I probably won’t see anyone. Eh…I’m beginning to make peace with this.
Last but not least, work is going great. I’m getting a ton of positive feedback, and I feel confident about my future at this company. Also, I never thought I could be made so happy by something as little as an insurance card, but you should have seen the look on my face when I finally got it. One would think the damn thing was made of platinum.
I will try to do a better job of updating this thing, but it’s still new and uncomfortable to me. Until next time…
About Me
- Justin
- Birmingham, AL, United States
- Just a young professional that's hit reset on his life...
Followers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment