My first blog post…well, personal blog at least. I’ve just finished the most volatile year of my life. Getting laid off and starting divorce proceedings in the same month will tear you down emotionally, and that’s exactly what happened. I spiraled into an unhealthy lifestyle of depression. There were days where I wouldn’t get out of bed until dinner time. I wouldn’t talk to anyone, and if I did it was electronically so that I was able to hide the pain in my voice and face. I was miserable, and felt like my life was in shambles…and in reality it was.
For a year I lived this way. I made a New Year’s resolution to get a job and restart my life in a new direction. Well, in late February that’s exactly what happened. I got a job, moved into a great house with cool roommates, and started eating/living healthier. I’ve lost weight, and been generally happier. I like my job, and the people I work with. It’s a very young office. The site manager is only 32. We play pickup basketball games out back. It’s definitely very laid back. I’ve been relatively busy so far, and get my work done ahead of schedule. Work life is great.
The house is great too. I rent a room at a cheap rate, have my own bathroom, and my roommates are pretty cool. So home life is also a thumbs up. And my roommate has several cool friends, but it’s been more difficult for me to make friends here than I did in college or when I lived in Houston. Maybe I should change that, it’s been more difficult for me to make close friends.
I think a part of me may still be distant. It isn’t easy starting over. I really am making sure that I focus on me first. That being said, I sure wouldn’t mind to get a few close friends. I can still get lonely. But I can’t do that late night party scene too much anymore. I’ve had my fill of that, and often meeting people in that scene isn’t the way to develop a lasting friendship. I will eventually find a solution to this as well.
I am strong, although I doubted it for a time. I know now that I can persevere through anything that life throws my way. I am able to pick up the pieces and rebuild. This blog will be a part of me documenting it. If you choose to read it, I thank you for taking the time and interest, but this is most certainly for my own benefit. I will rebuild my life, and this is only the beginning.
About Me
- Justin
- Birmingham, AL, United States
- Just a young professional that's hit reset on his life...
Followers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like this a lot... I think you are spot on in how you're handling it all now. So many people who 'rush back' into happiness are really setting themselves up for failure. You're ready to move on. It will happen in it's own time. In the meantime, we can hunt for meaningless friends :)
ReplyDelete